Skip to main content
For Members (Opens in a new tab)
Main Content

Who is eligible for a dual special needs health plan?

If you can answer “yes” to all of the questions below, chances are you can get a dual-eligible health plan. These plans are also known as dual special needs plans. (Find out more about dual-eligible health plans.)

Do you have Medicaid or get financial help?

The Medicaid health care program for your state is managed by your state government. The rules to qualify for Medicaid depend on your state. Do you get financial help such as supplemental security income (SSI)? If you have low income, you may qualify for Medicaid.

To find out if can get Medicaid in your state, check with your state Medicaid agency. You’ll find a link to the website for your state Medicaid agency on the “Plan Details” page for each of our health plans. To see the plans we offer in your area, please search plans in your state.

Do you have Medicare Parts A and B?

Medicare is a national health insurance program run by the federal government. It’s for people age 65 and older, and also some people under age 65 with certain disabilities. To be eligible for Medicare, you also have to be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident who has lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years.

Do you live in the plan’s service area?

What dual-eligible plans you can get depends on where you live. To find a UnitedHealthcare Dual Complete® plan for you, please search plans in your state. 

Please note: If you have end stage kidney failure (ESRD), there are specific requirements on whether you will qualify for a dual-eligible plan. If that’s the case, please talk with a UnitedHealthcare licensed sales agent to discuss your specific situation.